Halitosis is not uncommon; over 80 million people suffer from chronic halitosis. Halitosis is foul-smelling breath that is caused by the breakdown of food. Halitosis is caused from the following: smelly foods, smoking, respiratory infections, acid reflux, and poor oral hygiene. Here at Cary Dental we understand the discomfort and embarrassment that comes with bad breath. The following 7 tips are ways you can fight against bad breath:
- Floss: Flossing daily will remove the food debris from in between the teeth that your toothbrush cannot reach. When food particles are not removed, bacteria will feed on it and result in bad breath.
- Scrape your tongue: Remove residue that may be building up between the taste buds on your tongue, by using a tongue scraper. A tongue scraper is a very inexpensive tool which you can purchase at drugstores. Ask your hygienist for a sample to try!
- Brush twice daily: Brushing your teeth twice daily will help to remove plaque and food debris. Don’t forget to brush before going to bed!
- Use mouth rinse: Mouth rinse is a great tool to mask bad breath. It is important to keep in mind that if a dental problem is the cause, mouth rinse will only mask the odor and not cure it.
- Quit smoking: It should go without saying that smoking contributes to bad breath. Tobacco tends to dry out your mouth and leave an unpleasant scent, even after brushing your teeth.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking a sufficient amount of water (6-8 eight ounce glasses) daily will help prevent dry mouth. Drinking water helps to keep odor under control because it will wash away food particles and bacteria.
- Visit your dentist: The best practice for keeping bad breath under control is to visit your dentist regularly. If you have chronic bad breath, you should visit your dentist first.
Maintaining good oral hygiene begins with your visit to Cary Dental Associates. Call today to request your appointment (847) 516-1100.