Do you have a weak tooth that is breaking or already broken? Do you have teeth that are severely worn down? Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps that are placed over a tooth to cover and restore the tooth’s shape, size, strength, and appearance. Broken and worn down teeth are not the only situations a crown may be needed. The following are reasons to get a dental crown:
- Fractured, broken, decayed, or cracked teeth
- Difficulty chewing
- Difficulty speaking
- Root Canal
- To cover a dental implant
- To hold a bridge in place
Types Of Dental Crowns
- Porcelain: Porcelain is the most popular type of crown. Porcelain dental crowns can be color matched to your surrounding teeth in order to look natural, providing you with both a win in strength and endurance.
- Gold: Gold crowns withstand biting and chewing forces well and take the longest time to wear down. They are typically made of gold alloy or a base-metal alloy. The colors are the major reservation against gold dental crowns.
Fabrication At Cary Dental
Crown fabrication at Cary Dental Associates is completed in two appointments. The initial appointment will involve taking impressions of the tooth. The impressions will be used to create a personalized crown. The dentist will clean, shape and remove decay from the tooth. Until your permanent crown is ready, you will receive a temporary crown. The temporary crown will stay on for around 2 weeks. It is during the second appointment that your dentist will remove the temporary crown and install the permanent crown.
We want to provide you with the best possible care for your teeth. If you believe you are in need of a dental crown, please call us at (847) 516-1100 to request an appointment. We want you to smile with confidence.