Your dental implant is just like a normal tooth. Implants can become infected and diseased if they are neglected or do not receive proper professional cleanings. It’s important that you take action if you believe your dental implants in Cary IL are infected. An infection around an implant is a form of gum disease called peri-implantitis. If your implant is left untreated, the bone loss and infection can cause the implant to fail. Implants can become infected for several reasons:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Compromised immune system
- Bite misalignment
- Allergic reaction to the implant
Signs Your Dental Implant Is Infected
If you think that your dental implant could be infected, it’s important to act quickly. Features of an infected implant are similar to those of gum disease and include one or more of the following symptoms:
- Bad breath
- Bad taste
- Loose implant
- Puffy gums
- Red gums
- Throbbing pain or discomfort around the implant
- Difficulty chewing
- Bleeding when brushing your teeth
- Pus visible around the area
Dental Implants Cary IL
Call your local Cary IL dentist at (847) 516-1100 if you are experiencing any signs of an infected dental implant. At Cary Dental Associates, your health is our top priority. We strive to provide the highest excellence in patient care for each patient. We work very hard to provide examinations and x-rays to make sure issues are identified as early as possible, including gum disease. If you suspect an infected implant, contact us immediately so we can discuss the appropriate treatment.
Are you considering getting dental implants in Cary IL? You have probably heard all of the details of the procedure many times and the amazing benefits. What you may not know, is what it is actually like to live with dental implants following the procedure. Dental implants are designed to closely replicate the function and aesthetics of your natural teeth. Problems such as difficulty chewing and speaking will be resolved through dental implants. The teeth surrounding your dental implants will not be affected.
Treat Dental Implants Like Natural Teeth
Unfortunately, some dental restorations can require frequent removal and cleaning, however, dental implants are cared for just like your natural teeth. Dental implants are attached to your jawbone which provides support for chewing and stimulation to the jaw and gums. Stimulation ensures that bone loss and gum recession does not occur.
Foods To Avoid
It is still important to avoid hard foods such as ice, nuts, or hard candy that might damage your natural teeth. However, you can feel confident chewing just about anything with your dental implants, knowing that they are anchored for great support.
Caring For Your Implants Post Surgery
Following your dental implant Cary IL surgery, it is important to remember that the healing process takes time. It is not uncommon to experience swelling or tenderness for a few days following the procedure. The ADA suggests that you try to stick to soft foods, cold foods, and warm soup. Take the recommended pain medication that your dental implants dentist in Cary IL prescribes you.
Ready to make your appointment for dental implants in Cary IL? Request your appointment today!
Approximately 49,750 people in the United States will be newly diagnosed with oral cancer this year, according to the Oral Cancer Foundation. Awareness of oral cancer in the American public is low. Over 132 new people in the United States each day will be newly diagnosed with oral cancer. As your local family dental care provider in Cary IL, we have compiled a list of ways to take action against oral cancer in honor of oral cancer awareness month. At Cary Dental Associates, the health and safety of our patients are of the utmost importance to us.
Take Action Against Oral Cancer
- Brush & floss your teeth regularly. When your mouth is not healthy your immune system will prevent your body from fighting off potential cancers.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. The risk of developing oral cancer will increase with the amount and length of time alcohol and tobacco products are used. Limit yourself to one or two drinks per day.
- Do NOT smoke or chew any type of tobacco product. Even if you are not an occasional smoker, make it stop.
- Limit sun exposure. Are you remembering to apply sunscreen to your lips? Use UV-A/B sun protection on your lips whenever you are in sunlight. When you are repeatedly exposed to the sun you are increasing your risk of cancer on the lips.
- Regular exercise. Living an active lifestyle will help to boost your immune system and fight cancer.
- Family dental care in Cary IL. In order to notice early signs of oral cancer, it is important that you visit your dentist regularly (at least every 6 months).
Family Dental Care In Cary IL
Join us this April for oral cancer awareness month, request your appointment today. Here at Cary Dental Associates, we are dedicated to providing family and cosmetic dentistry to the Cary and Crystal Lake, IL area.
It is no secret that crooked or misaligned teeth can generate self-consciousness. A smile is the first thing people notice in any social situation. In the past, orthodontists and dentists were forced to rely on metal appliances that often led to even more awkwardness in social settings. Today, new technology is available and offers a method to straighten teeth and transform your smile without interfering with a patient’s self-esteem. Learn how Invisalign in Cary IL can improve your smile and boost your confidence.
Improved Oral Health
Many people believe that an orthodontic appliance only improves the appearance of a smile. Yes, properly aligned teeth makes for a more aesthetically pleasing smile, however, it will also help a person’s oral hygiene routine become more effective. When teeth are misaligned or too close together, it is difficult to brush and floss properly. Food and plaque will get stuck between teeth and become noticeable to others. Invisalign in Cary IL will create an aligned smile and allow proper brushing and flossing to be performed.
Comfortable In Your Own Smile
Metal braces can often be the source for playground taunts such as “braceface” and “metal mouth”. This often led to children dreading the prospect of having orthodontic treatment. Metal braces also require a restricted diet that makes them stand out in social situations, not allowing sticky candy, gum, or popcorn. While these issues may not bother you as an adult, it is important to understand the sensitivity of children who are still developing their self-esteem.
Fortunately, Invisalign in Cary IL makes it possible to receive orthodontic treatment without the uncomfortable wires and food restrictions. Invisalign trays can easily be removed for eating and cleaning purposes. Invisalign is typically not visible in photos, however, the trays can be removed briefly so that a person can smile with confidence.
Interested in learning more about Invisalign in Cary IL? Contact us today!
Whether you have just moved to Cary IL or have lived in Cary for decades, finding the right dentist in your hometown can be challenging. When you begin your search for a dentist in Cary IL, asking friends, coworkers, and neighbors is often a great place to start. If you have recently moved and do not know anyone in the area, ask your family doctor or a local pharmacist for a recommendation. The American Dental Association also recommends that you contact your local state dental society. Here at Cary Dental Associates, we have been voted one of the best dental offices in McHenry County for 2016. We asked our patients what they looked for when searching specifically for a dentist in Cary IL. Keep reading to check out what they told us!
- Ask others for their recommendation. A lot of our patients at Cary Dental Associates found their dentist in Cary IL from talking to family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers. Here at Cary Dentist Associates, we treat patients not just in Cary IL, but in all of McHenry County and even out of state. New patients are always welcome at Cary Dental Associates – no matter where they are from.
- Internet Research. Often times, our patients have discovered Cary Dental Associates by doing their research online. If you do not have any friends to help you find a dentist in Cary IL, reading online reviews is a great way to get honest feedback. Read our reviews at Cary Dental Associates to see what our patients have to say about their experience.
- Meet for a consultation. The best way to find out if a dentist in Cary IL is for you? Schedule a consultation. After you leave the office, consider the following questions: Was the office location and hours convenient for me? Would you I feel comfortable asking this dentist in Cary IL questions? Would I trust his or her recommendations?
Get started with the right dentist in Cary IL for you. Schedule your appointment with Cary Dental Associates today!
How many times a year have you been told to visit your dentist? For the most part, society has been taught that a dental cleaning every six months is proper oral care. As a dentist in Cary, however, we have found that some patients do not understand the importance of routine dental cleanings.
According to reports from the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), a dental cleaning at least twice a year can improve your oral health. A professional dental cleaning reinforces the at home oral health regimen of brushing and flossing and gives the dentist a chance to locate areas in the mouth that require special attention. The following are six additional benefits to routine dental cleanings:
- Cavity prevention: Did you know that plaque is the leading cause of tooth decay? The white film that builds up on your teeth is called plaque. The plaque will eat away at the tooth enamel, and if left unattended, can lead to cavities.
- Stop tooth loss: Gum disease, which starts with plaque build up, is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. When gum disease advances, plaque moves further down the tooth and will destroy the supporting bone in your jaw, causing teeth to fall out. Plaque is best removed by flossing, brushing, and routine visits to your dentist in Cary.
- Fight bad breath: The best way to have fresh breath is good oral hygiene. Getting a dental cleaning is a great way to keep your mouth healthy and odor-free.
- Brighten your smile: Coffee, wine, and tobacco are just a few ways we stain our teeth. Brushing and flossing alone do not always remove stains. A dental cleaning can remove built-up stains and leave your teeth freshly polished.
- Save money: Routine cleanings at your dentist in Cary may be able to save you money in the long run by protecting your oral health and avoiding more costly extensive procedures.
- Boost overall health: Studies have shown a great connection between oral and overall health. When you visit your dentist regularly, it may help lower your risk for some diseases, such as heart disease and stroke. Many medical conditions, can be detected in their early stages by your dentist during a routine oral exam.
Courtesy of: Delta Dental
Often times, dental implants can be the best solution for replacing missing teeth. Dental implants offer a successful, long-lasting, and natural appearance. One of the greatest benefits is that dental implants become a part of the jawbone which helps to maintain its health. Dental implants are a long-term solution that can last a lifetime with proper care. If you think that dental implants are right for you it’s important that you schedule an appointment to discuss your particular situation with your dentist, as implants are not for everyone. Learn more about what makes someone an ideal candidate for dental implants in Crystal Lake IL.
Dental Implant Candidate Requirements
Those who are ideal candidates for dental implants in Crystal Lake IL must meet the following requirements:
- Healthy gum tissues
- Adequate bone in your jaw
- Must be in good general and oral health
Determine If You Are An Ideal Candidate
In order to determine if you are an ideal candidate for dental implants, it is crucial that you have a complete exam so that your dentist can see exactly how much bone volume you have in the area of the missing teeth. Even if your bone is deficient, bone regeneration techniques could be a successful way to increase the volume of your tooth-supporting bone.
Dental Implants Near Crystal Lake IL
At Cary Dental Associates, we want you to be able to achieve the smile you deserve. We understand how self-conscious missing teeth can make someone feel. Request an appointment today to discuss dental implants with our dentists conveniently located near Crystal Lake IL.
Are you missing teeth? Dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth and provide a fixed solution to having removable partial or complete dentures. Dental implants in Crystal Lake IL can help you feel confident about your smile again. In addition to their aesthetic benefits, dental implants can help resolve joint pain, restore an individual’s ability to chew and speak properly, and provide support for a bridge or denture. We have compiled a list of a few facts you should know about Dental Implants.
- Dental implants provide the feel, function, and appearance of natural teeth more effectively than other options used to replace missing teeth.
- It is estimated that 69% of Americans between the age of 35 to 44 have at least one missing tooth.
- One in every four adults over the age of 74 has lost ALL their natural teeth.
- Contemporary dental implants that have been used for decades have been proven to be effective and safe.
- Dental implants are the only restoration option that will preserve and stimulate natural bone, helping to stimulate bone growth and prevent bone less.
- Dental implants can be traced back to around 600 AD. Tooth-like pieces of shell would be hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman.
Dental Implants Crystal Lake IL
The dental implant process requires a number of visits over several months. Learn more about dental implants at Cary Dental Associates here. Call us at (847) 516-1100 to request an appointment.
Source: American Academy of Implant Dentistry
The throbbing pain of a toothache can be excruciating. In fact, there are circumstances where a toothache can prevent you from going to work or school. In contrast, there are situations where you can take pain medication and go about your day. Even if the pain of your toothache subsides, we urge you to visit us at Cary Dental Associates as soon as possible. The primary cause of toothaches for most adults and children is tooth decay. Bacteria that live inside your mouth thrive on sugars and starches in the food you eat. These bacteria form a sticky plaque that clings to the surface of your teeth. The first sign of tooth decay is tooth sensitivity or pain when you eat something sweet, very cold, or very hot. We want to help you understand your toothache in Cary IL.
Symptoms Of Toothaches
The primary symptom of a toothache, is pain in your tooth and mouth, but the type of pain can vary:
- Tooth pain that occurs only when pressure is applied
- Swelling or painful gums
- Sharp, throbbing or constant pain
- Bad taste in your mouth
- Fever or a headache
Causes of Toothaches
Generally, tooth pain is a result of inflammation of the soft center part of the tooth. This pain can have several different causes such as the following:
- Cavities (tooth decay)
- Chipped or broken tooth
- Infection at the root of the tooth
- Damaged fillings
- Infected gums
- Repetitive motions (grinding or chewing)
What Triggers A Toothache?
There are some behaviors of foods that can initiate a toothache, or worsen it. They are known as “triggers” and include the following:
- Biting down on anything
- Pressure on the tooth
- Sweet food
- Cold drinks or food
Relief for Toothaches Cary IL
Your toothache should not be ignored. It is important that you visit a toothache Cary IL dentist and receive a complete oral examination. Here at Cary Dental Associates, we will search for signs of swelling, tooth damage, and redness. Call us today to request an appointment (847) 516-1100.
As a patient, I am sure you have heard your dentist talking about preventing plaque and tartar. Do you know what plaque and tartar actually are? How are you going to prevent something if you do not know the signs and symptoms? As a dentist in Cary, our mission is to educate our patients on how to maintain the best overall oral hygiene. Our hope is that through this blog post our patients will have a better understanding of what plaque is, the signs and symptoms, and how to prevent it.
What is Plaque?
The sticky colorless film of bacteria that constantly forms on your teeth and along the gum-line are plaque. Plaque is made up of bacteria that has the ability to cause cavities and gum disease. When plaque builds up and is not properly removed by brushing and flossing, it can harden into what is called tartar.
Signs & Symptoms
Plaque constantly develops in our mouths because bacteria are constantly growing in our mouths. When plaque is not removed from the gum line it can cause inflammation and irritation to the gums around your teeth, which will lead to gingivitis. It is important that you talk to your dentist in Cary if you are experiencing these signs and symptoms. If gingivitis is not treated, it can progress to periodontal disease and cause tooth loss.
As you can see, it is really important that you prevent plaque from building up. As a dentist in Cary we recommend the following easy tips to prevent build up:
- Brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day for two minutes each time. This will help to remove plaque from the surface of your teeth
- Floss your teeth daily to remove plaque from between your teeth and under your gum-line.
- Restrict the amount of sugary or starchy foods that you consume.
- Schedule at least two regular visits per year to your dentist in Cary for cleanings and dental examinations.
Courtesy Of: Colgate